Link

Friday, October 28, 2005

Miers, Liars?

As most people know by now, Harriet Miers withdrew her name for consideration as a Supreme Court Judge. This should be the last time I comment about Ms. Meirs. Earlier I wrote that I considered her nomination by President Bush as nothing more than cronyism and expanded on that thought as well.

From Harriet Miers withdrawal letter she wrote;

As you know, members of the Senate have indicated their intention to seek documents about my service in the White House in order to judge whether to support me. I have been informed repeatedly that in lieu of records, I would be expected to testify about my service in the White House to demonstrate my experience and judicial philosophy. While I believe that my lengthy career provides sufficient evidence for consideration of my nomination, I am convinced the efforts to obtain Executive Branch materials and information will continue.

From President Bush's letter;

I understand and share her concern, however, about the current state of the Supreme Court confirmation process. It is clear that senators would not be satisfied until they gained access to internal documents concerning advice provided during her tenure at the White House -- disclosures that would undermine a president's ability to receive candid counsel.

Both here state their concerns about turning over White House documents that involved the two of them. As Miers was Bush's personal lawyer within the White House, this excuse is essentially to the point I have made, cronyism. They were so close in their working relationship (and friends as well) that her White House documents included Bush as well. As far as I'm concerned, they both have written statements that support my complaints. Maybe this time Bush will nominate someone without close ties to himself.

~~~~~

On a side note to this, in steps Senator Trent Lott who must have been a little sleepy or something as he reacted to her withdrawal on national TV. He said he hoped that the next nomination was the best "man, woman, or minority" they could find. He also said that in a few weeks "no one will remember Harriet Miers." I guess sort of like we don't remember Robert Bork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home