Link

Friday, September 03, 2004

Who says the Constitution is Boring?

One of the more interesting "protests" in New York this week was an amazing event in my mind, it was a public reading of the Constitution. From several articles I've read about this event, the crowd loved it. They cheered when the First Amendment was read...."the rights of the people to peacefully protest." In todays America we should indeed be cheering for that right. When peaceful protesters all across the country are being denied this right, forced into "free speech zones" as if they are quarantined cattle.

Film director John Sayles received an ovation when he read a passage in Article 2: "The person having the greatest number of votes shall be president ...." Obviously the crowd doesn't like the electorial college anymore. Who teaches at that school anyway? There's a needed amendment, a popular vote for President.

From all the reports I've read about this reading I wish I had been there. I would have loved it as much as those that did attend. To me this has the true ring of patriotism, the reading of the Constitution to We the People of the United States. This event got such good reviews I think it should hit the road like any good New York play. Hey, whomever staged this event, please consider bringing it to the Detroit area, I'm ready to buy a ticket.

Here's one review...
Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home